About this place
The square measures 200 by 200 metres and still works exactly as planned in 1257: it is the crossing point of every main street of the Old Town. The Cloth Hall splits it in two, and the bugle call from St Mary’s tower marks the hours.
The least obvious part of this place is underground. The Rynek Underground route runs at the level of the medieval cobbles, past preserved fragments of stalls and municipal scales.
At dawn the square belongs to residents and pigeons, in the afternoon to tourists. To see it empty, come before eight.